Camp Laurel was founded in 1949 in Lake Awosting, New York and has been in continuous operation ever since. During this period, the camp was under the co direction of Mel and Bette Archard and John and Alice Harrison. In the fall of 1965, the camp moved to its present site on Echo Lake in Mt. Vernon, Maine. Camp Laurel opened at its new site on July 1, 1966. In 1974 Ron Scott began working for Camp Laurel, and in 1978 Ron and Mel and Bette Archard’s daughter, Ann, began as Directors. In 1979 Ron and Ann purchased Camp Laurel. In 1994, after spending three summers as Co-Director, Keith Klein purchased Camp Laurel and has served as Owner and Director since that time. Jem Sollinger, a long-time camper and counselor, joined Keith as Co-Director in 2002. In 2007, Jem and his wife, Debbie, assumed the directorship of Camp Laurel. Keith maintains an active role at camp and spends his summers on Echo Lake, along with Jem and Debbie.